Forthcoming internationalism events and activities 2016
1. Language Ambassador motivational speaker visit to Small Heath 22nd February 2016
A language Ambassador Coach, Aiesha Ulhaq, from the University of Wolverhampton and in association with ‘Routes Into Languages’ will visit the MFL Team on Monday 22nd February to deliver a motivational talk and presentations to our Year 11.
2. Erasmus+ Trip to Livorno, Pisa- Italy 28th February - 4th March 2016.
As part of our International School Programme, 4 Year 7 & 8 students will attend an ‘Intercultural Art Festival’ in Livorno near the town of Pisa in Italy between 28th February - 4th March 2016. This event is part of a European cultural exchange programme which our school has embarked upon for the next 2 years. The Erasmus+ ‘ECLIPSE’ (Enhancing Cultural Literacy through Innovative Practice and Skills in Europe) project focuses on improving our students’ literacy skills, enriching their learning experiences and exploring different cultures of Europe. The partnership includes schools from Turkey, Slovenia, Spain, England, Norway and Italy.
Names of Students
2. Sayeeda 7IBE
3. Isa 7KDV
4. Nabeel 8PLH
Teachers: Mr Belhouche, Mrs Khanam
3. Norwegian Delegation visit to Small Heath School 14th - 16th March 2016
As part of our Ersasmus+ ECLIPSE project, the Principal Kjetil Gjerdevik and his deputy from our Norwegian partner school, Vikeså Skule, will be visiting our school to complete a job shadowing programme. Mr K.Gjerdivik is keen to find out about our pastoral programmes, BFL policies/strategies, behaviour management and how we settle in our new students. Please let me know if you would like to welcome them in your lessons.
4. Erasmus+ teacher Job-shadowing visit to Norway 3rd - 8th April 2016.
As part of our Ersasmus+ ECLIPSE project, there will be an opportunity for our teacher who wish to complete an exchange visit to our Norwegian partner school, Vikeså Skule, as part a job shadowing programme to share good practice and enhance their teaching practice. Please see me if you are interested. Places are limited.
5. Hosting French students MFR- Normandy - France, 11th -22nd April 2016.
As part of the student exchange scheme between our school/ Calthorpe Special School, and Maison Familiale, 20 French students will be completing their work placements in Calthorpe school. They will be hosted by teachers from Calthorpe Special School and our school. Teachers from our school are welcome to host 1 or 2 students in their homes and will receive a £100 per student. Please see Imed if you are interested.
Imed Belhouche will help settle down French students and will take part in organising a language afternoon for them at Calthorpe Academy. Imed Belhouche is exploring the possibility of offering a work placement for 2 French students depending on a successful completion of their DBS.
6. Erasmus+ trip to Spain - 29th May - 2nd June 2016.
As part of our Erasmus+ Project, a group KS3 students will attend a ‘Historical Icons Conference’ in Barcelona in Spain between 29th May – 2nd June 2016. This event is part of a European cultural exchange programme which our school has embarked upon for the next 2 years. The Erasmus+ ‘ECLIPSE’ (Enhancing Cultural Literacy through Innovative Practice and Skills in Europe) project focuses on improving our students’ literacy skills, enriching their learning experiences and exploring different cultures of Europe. The partnership includes schools from Turkey, Slovenia, Spain, England, Norway and Italy. Please see IBE if you would like to take part.
7. Carl Schulz Schule, Frankfurt, Germany Visit to Small Heath School 17th - 21st June 2016.
We will be hosting a group of 20 German students and 2 teachers from ‘Carl-Schurz-Schule’ in Frankfurt between 17th -21st June 2016. They are keen to visit our school for a day and take part in various curriculum/extra-curricular activities as well as establish a sustainable partnership which could lead to exchanging visits. Imed Belhouche has established a link with this school which was previously involved in a partnership with Moseley School. This is an excellent opportunity for our students in MFL, PE, Science, Technology, History, RE, Expressive Arts to be involved in organising activities and work along foreign students.
8. Year 10 Work Experience in Normandy- 25th June - 2nd July 2016.
A group Year 10 students will be completing a work experience visit to our partner school ‘Maison Familiale’ in Normandy at the end of June 2016. This will include students including G&T students will travel to France to stay with families and attend work placements near Coutances in Normandy. Our successful partnership with 'Maison Familiale' in Saint Sauveur Lendelin has been running for the last 25 years during which generations of our students lived and worked in France. We will be joined by students from Calthorpe Special School and Starbank Primary School.
9. ECLIPSE website
The ECLIPSE project website has now been created and includes a presentation of partner schools’ profiles with the links about architectural structure, photographs of culture, presentation of history icons with photo story album, students in art galleries, archaeology museums and hands in mathematical and science sections in seven partners. Questionnaires about the evaluation of the mobilities, photographs of the mobilities and will also have link in the website for dissemination, follow-up for the project. Cultural survey, criteria will also be published in project website. ttp://1217.gvs.arnes.si/eclipse/
Your views and contributions to this website will be most appreciated.
10. CMC involvement in the ECLIPSE project.
All Year 7 CMC groups have been involved in completing various tasks for the Erasmus+ project and have been given the opportunity to produce good quality work and enjoy working creatively in teams.
1. Div one students produced a logo and a poster and led a Year 7 assembly by 14th December 2015 to decide on the winning logo which was sent to Italy. Div 1 students carried on with the next section of the project which focused on producing presentations and materials about a British Historical Icon or personality. The winning presentations and poster/ materials for their favourite history icon will be sent to our Spanish partner school to be displayed in their school hall during our proposed visit at the end of May 2016.
2. Div2 students produced materials and own stories for the 'Knowing Yourself in Art and Painting'. Students were also able to produce an art work or a drawing, sketches or caricatures either by hand or on computer inspired from their favourite painting. The winning stories and materials will be displayed in the Italian school during our Erasmus+ visit which is taking place at the end of February 2016.
3. Div3 students carried out archaeological research and created pictorial fact files.
Best work will be collated and will be included in the the ECLIPSE project ‘Cultural eBook’. A copy of the eBook will be printed and left in our school library for our students and future generations.
11. ECLIPSE project Logo.
The ECLIPSE Project logo has been designed and will be used on all products creating a visual sense of cohesion between the partner schools. The innovation in this task is the involvement of several teams in partner schools to work collaboratively to promote the aims of the project and ensure that it impacts positively on students, teachers and community alike. The logo has been designed by a group of year 7 student in our school and all students in partner schools have voted for it as the winning logo.